Hungry to Learn
About Healthwise Aberdeen
Suzanne Macaulay Adult Literacies Worker (Health) 896 156
Theresa Dines Adult Literacies Co-ordinator (Health) 896 156
Who we are
Healthwise Aberdeen is a health and literacy project based in Torry Learning House. We are a part of Aberdeen City Council's South Adult Literacies Community Learning and Development tteam. We aim to reduce health inequalities in the local area by offering health related learning opportunities for people with low literacies skills.
We work with local participants to increase their skills, knowledge and understanding of health and health care. To do this we:-
Organise small group and 1:1 tutoring opportunities
- Work with local people to increase levels of literacy and numeracy skills
- Promote a clear communication approach to partner agency staff
- Advise local health staff of the locally available literacy provision we provide
We co-ordinate and support a variety of small health literacy groups in venues throughout South Aberdeen.
How we can help you
We can offer your patients free, confidential literacies tutoring in their local area.
We can also arrange small group learning opportunities focusing on topics such as healthy eating, budgeting, confidence building, cooking skills, basic computing and numeracy, amongst other things. All learning content is negotiated with learners and based on individual need.
To refer a client:
- Discuss available learning opportunities with your patient, or ask if they would be interested in finding out more about our project
- Complete a referral form in partnership with your patient
- Ensure the patient gives consent for their details to be passed to us
We look forward to hearing from you.